Saturday, June 18

Playing Catch up

Social Side of Work:

So this week there was an LOB-wide Barbeque, and it was awesome! I had the opportunity to meet with a ton of people and made friends with this Greek Professor who now works in the states. She named off all these "dives" I should go to for salsa dancing. I also got to taste a lot of homemade french cuisine since it was a potluck-ish thing and there was nothing I didn't like.

On the bad side of social things, we played our third soccer game this week for the semi-finals and lost 1-0. Which means we're out of the championships. Everyone took it really well though and is talking about next spring already.

Work Side of Work:

Rachid and I were doing experiments trying to do a layer of blocking reagent and then a layer of quantum dots with only 4 to 6 showing at any time. We were having a lot of trouble getting the ratios of each right, and I suggested we put the Quantum Dots on first and figure out what concentration or time we need to only see four-six and then put the blocking reagent to block off the protiens. Rachid LOVED the idea. He pointed out that it'd give us so much more control over the experiment and would be easier to be consistent. He kept saying, "Yes, Yes, that would be good, we're going to do that. Thank you!"

The laser broke. Thursday afternoon it would shut itself off every five minutes (generally when I was in the middle of a video, ugh). Then Friday morning it turned on twice and then after that wouldn't come back up. I showed Cedric and he called the manufacturer and they think the tube of Argon Gas has a problem. Its the most expensive part of the laser so they're not thinking about replacing it right now. Instead they're going to pull 0ut the slightly older laser they used to work with, which is in perfect condition. BUT makes two noises, that of a large Bee and a high pitched whistling...I'm bringing advil to work for the next week. On monday or wednesday the manufacturer is sending someone to look at it and make sure the problem is what we think it is. If they confirm our belief than Rachid and I are going to take apart the entire station and put up the other laser, realign all the mirrors, and hopefully start doing experiments by Friday. It'll be good work experience for me but Rachid's face when Cedric told him the news was pure anguish.


No comments:

Post a Comment