Wednesday, June 22

I can type!

I finally took 2 minutes to try and figure out how to change my keyboard settings so it pretends to be layed out in the American style. It was so easy to fix! Now i'm back to typing at full speed! It was severely handicapping me. The best part is that there's a little switch on the Start Menu bar so anytime Iwant to change back for whatever reason (most likely because I can't remember where a specific symbol is) I just toggle it.

Yesterday there was a RER train workers strike so I had the day off from work. Today I came in hoping against hope that the laser would be checked quickly and we could get to assembling the new one and screwing the mirrors into their new places on the breadboard. However, its now 2pm and the manufacturers still haven't got here. I am still vaguely optimistic that I will do something productive today though.

Initially, this morning I was going to work on the matlab analysis and Rachid reexplained briefly to me some of the steps I needed to take. The second time around everything made more sense and I wrote up my own little matlab-how-to-analyze-your-data guide in my notebook. BUT tragedy struck and the first time through the main routine it ran for almost an hour before we gave up on it. I restarted matlab ready to try again but l'ecole polytechnique has a matlab license that only allows so many people to have permission to run things at any time and in restarting my matlab I lost my place in the queue. So I've been retrying the same command every ten minutes since then hoping some one else will log off matlab and I can begin doing work again. No luck yet though.

Also Cedric and Rachid took a look at the lamp this morning that Cedric uses in his experiments and it was having trouble also! It made me wonder if maybe it wasn't either instrument but actually the power supply in the room or something odd like that. However, Cedric replaced a part on the lamp and now its fine so my momentary hope that nothing was actually wrong with the laser was dashed. At least we can use the lamp if we need to.

Heading to Switzerland this weekend to visit my uncle and his family! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment