Sunday, May 29

A whirlwind tour of Paris

One of the famous living statues of Paris

So yesterday after my favorite international flight ever, we arrived in Paris! After reaching the hotel our new ENSTA friends, Charles, Antoine, Neda, et Rania showed us all over Paris. We saw Le Tour Eiffel, L'Arc de Triomphe, Le Louvre, Notre Dame, et Le Champs-Elysses. But we didn't officially go into anything so there will still be plenty to explore in the coming weeks. Along the way we saw a lot of street performers including one of the Living Statues which was really cool also. I have never spent significant time in such a large city and am really enjoying the atmosphere. I am sure we will have a lot of adventures exploring the city further.

Tomorrow we are all meeting with our advisors and begin our main adventure. I am so ready to begin work on my project. I am sure at the beginning will be an adjustment period where I am asking a ton of questions and reading more papers in order to understand what exactly is going on. I am looking forward to perhaps a week from now when things have settled into more of a routine. Right now I am envisaging it being something like running or swimming in the morning, traveling to L'Ecole Polytechnique, working hard all day, traveling back, blogging and taking a small break, having dinner somewhere new with the other students or cooking something in the dorms, then studying for the Physics GRE for 1-2 hours, and then all hanging out or just relaxing, until we repeat it again. Weekends will probably be split between visits to other parts of France (a vineyard is high on my list!) or Europe, and exploring Paris in depth. I am sure the schedule will vary as we become absorbed in our projects and find we want to stay later some days to run a few more tests or something and other unprecedented events but I hope to study for the Physics GRE at least 4 times every week and work out in some fashion at least 3 times every week.


à tout à l'heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment